Friday, February 10, 2017

The finishing of the quilt "En Provence"

This will be the final link-up to Bonnie Hunter's En Provence progress blogs.  I hope to finish this quilt during February, 2017.



I created a label and sewed it to the back of my backing fabric.  I will fill in the actual finish date in the upper right light four-patch square and by writing "February," I have given myself a goal that I need to reach!



I spray-basted the backing, batting, and quilt top together, and I created a binding pieced from scraps of some of the light lavender scraps from the quilt top.


At this point, I have barely begun the quilting.



This is what the quilting looks like on the back so far.  I have a lot left to quilt!



The quilting would be a lot faster if this feline Quilt Inspector would finish her job and move out of the way!



A few days later, I decided how to quilt inside the areas that I had already created.  The design doesn't show as well on the front, but I love the impact that it makes on the back.



After a few more days, I've managed to quilt the majority of the center of the quilt.




On February 9, 2017, I finished the final step on the quilt, hand-sewing the binding to the back.

This is a close-up of the quilting on the front.


I love the finished quilt!  Thanks, Bonnie Hunter!






(Sigh....after getting completely finished I noticed for the first time that I have one small unit turned 1/4 turn in the wrong direction.  Why didn't I see that when I was quilting it?  I haven't decided whether or not I will try to fix it.  I don't think anyone other than quilters would notice it anyway, but it if bothers me, I may take out the quilting in that one area, take the unit out, sew it back correctly by hand, and re-quilt.)

Update:  I fixed the offending rotated unit.  I couldn't stand leaving it wrong!












11 comments:

  1. Beautiful and love the quilting. I would leave the humble block.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't stand it...I had to fix it. There are enough other mistakes (poor quilting tension in places and a hole in the backing that had to be patched) to keep me quite humble! :)

      Delete
  2. This is absolutely gorgeous, Carole! I would hardly notice any mistakes in a big, beautiful quilt such as this! Your quilting skills are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alison. I'm still learning to use my Handi-Quilter Sweet Sixteen (sit-down long arm) and I had a few tension issues that show on the back, but I didn't consider them bad enough to take out.

      Delete
  3. It looks lovely. I admire your quilting designs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I felt very lucky when they worked out so well.

      Delete
  4. I'm sure no one would have noticed it and you would have been hard pressed to find it after a while but I know how you feel...it's there.
    I have been trying to decide if I want to quilt mine or send it out. After seeing your beautiful quilting I'm inspired to just do it myself, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! The only way I have improved is by quilting quilts, and some weren't so good. They were learning experiences though, and lots of practice certainly helps.

      Delete
  5. Your quilt is beautiful!. I also made a mistake that I never saw until a quilter told me after seeing a picture of my quilt on my facebookside. Luckily it was not quiltet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful quilt. I love how you quilted it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, so impressed you went back and fixed the offending piece. The final result is a lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete